Monday, December 2, 2013

It's Christmas (oh heck!)

So December has arrived for its annual visit and the shops are full of festive cheer.  I've heard that people have started decorating their homes, although I leave mine a bit later than this, due to the fact that my Christmas tree is so large it takes up too much space for it to be there too long.

Now, I love the festive season.  I love the build up, the parties, the choosing presents for my loved ones, the singing of carols, and finally spending Christmas itself with my family.  But I realise from talking to other people that not everyone is so lucky.  So I thought I'd address this here and offer some help.

Christmas is a very significant time of the year.  Whether we like it or not, we're sold a fairy tale annually by the retail community.  As much as we may try to ignore it, it's very difficult not to compare your experience with this.  If, for whatever reason, your past Christmases weren't brilliant, you may have a sinking feeling each year.

If you are now the one responsible for "getting Christmas together", you may feel a lot of pressure to make it perfect for all your guests, which can leave you tired and time-starved before it even arrives.

If you are unfortunate to have had a sad occasion happen at a previous Christmas, the arrival of each year can trigger unresolved grief.

If you used to have great Christmases, but your situation has now changed and you've lost these, this annual holiday can bring up unresolved feelings of regret.

And finally, if you're unfortunate to have to spend Christmas with people in whose company you wouldn't normally choose to spend time, you may end up with conflict and maybe even arguments.

The good news is, that in all these situations, kinesiology can help clear the stress.  It gently removes the stress around the triggering events and changes the association we have linked to Christmas.  It will leave you feeling happier and less burdened and more able to enjoy the festive season in your own way.

So if you'd like to create the positive Christmas experience you'd really like, please do get in touch - 01635 581682 or roskitson@googlemail.com.



3 comments:

Claire Bushell said...

I confess I get irritated with Christmas preparations, particularly if they start too early. I enjoy autumn and hate having to pass over the glorious autumn colours for images of snow too soon. However, I do love Christmas but it is really for the opportunity to spend more time with my family and celebrate love & peace. As you say, that peace part is hard to come by when struggling to prepare the 'perfect' Christmas. This is certainly a good time to prioritise some personal de-stress time!

Ros Kitson said...

Thank you for your comment, Claire. I do hope you manage to find some de-stress time and have a wonderful Christmas. :)

Unknown said...

''Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year''(I think the song goes something like it) but then there is SAD which is not on holiday during Christmas I'm sure. Looking forward to the SAD talks on Sat 14th at the wellbeing centre. For me Christmas is time to think of the year that is passing, and make plans for the year ahead.